FEAR THE GLORY NOT THE GLOOM
Standing on top of a mountain can be scary for slalom skiers, the Savior of the world, and anyone who follows him down.
Notes And Next Steps
Matthew 17:1-9 + Part 9 of the series “Vivid"
Fear the glory, and you’ll be fine. Fool with it, and you won’t.
The heavens declare the glory of God. (Psalm 19:1)
The glory of the Lord filled his temple. (1 Kings 8:11)
The whole earth is full of his glory. (Isaiah 6:3)
“Glory to God in the highest.” (Luke 2:14)
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory… (Hebrews 1:3)
We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son… (John 1:14)
Fear God and give him glory…(Revelation 14:7)
The glory of God is emanating from a single person.
The glory of God doesn’t immediately strike dead Peter, James and John.
God and his glory can handle them, because of Jesus.
At the same time that the Bible commands, “Don’t be afraid,” it also commands, “Fear God.”
- Besides fireworks and the sun, what other objects do we rightly respect with awe but we’re not scared? Read Deuteronomy 10:12. Compare this fear to our fear of God.
- Search your Bible app for a few more verses about God’s glory. Share and discuss.
- How does John 1:14 connect to Jesus’ transfiguration? Explore this together.
- What are three spiritual steps to take when you feel yourself becoming unnecessarily afraid of something?
- Is it fair to say that Jesus faced his fears? Does Hebrews 5:7-9 help us understand?