I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
Have you adjusted to daylight savings time yet? More light means getting more done. As the Light of the world Jesus changes your darkness to accomplish his work in you, for you and through you.
Notes And Next Steps
John 8:12; 9:1–7 + Part 3 of the series “I Am"
Spiritual darkness is the:
- blind state of unbelief
- deceptive power of ungodly motives
- dreadful place of eternal exclusion in hell
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12).
Light vs. darkness = Life vs. death
“Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world” (John 9:2-5).
- Self-medicating our pain hides from God in darkness.
- God’s light reveals a purpose for pain, working to display the Light of the world.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:14-16).
SPIRITUAL NEXT STEPS
- Every 40 seconds someone commits suicide. Watch this inspiring video about one man with a disability who resisted the urge to do nothing. He let his light shine, and made a difference for one young lady’s hope. Share this video or watch it with friends or family and discuss these questions. Describe some missed opportunities you’ve had to be a light, because you’re too tired, distracted or wish someone else would do it. What lesson does this video teach about being a light? Name one person you know who needs hope, and ask a friend or family to hold you accountable for reaching out to them this week. https://youtu.be/Y3dwMLqdh3g
- The Pflugerville Pregnancy Resource Center has invited CrossLife to their “Love Outrageously” banquet on April 4 at no cost. Guest speaker is “Chewbacca Mom.” Pastor Daron and Cara are attending. Can you participate in this community cause? Contact Pastor Daron for info. Adults only. Pray about how CrossLife can partner with this organization to bring more light to Pflugerville.
- What is some discomfort, disease or disability in your life that is more a work of God than you’ve realized? How could God work through it so that you let your light shine to others?
- Attend the new movie “Unplanned” with our CrossLife family on Sunday, March 31 at 4:15pm at Cinemark 14 in Round Rock. Go to our CrossLife Facebook page where it is posted as an event and check “going.” We will meet up for debrief and discussion afterwards. Bring your friends. https://youtu.be/gBLWpKbC3ww.
- Study about God’s interaction with darkness in the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. How did God use darkness to demonstrate the powerlessness of the world’s strongest empire (Exodus 10:22,Joshua 24:7)? How did God use darkness to demonstrate the dread of lostness, not being able to survive unless God is there with you (Exodus 20:21)?