THE GLAD OF CHRISTMAS
Joy is everyday. It appears over 200 times in the Bible. Great joy is epic. It appears only 9 times in the Bible, including in the Christmas story. Ever wonder why?
Notes And Next Steps
Luke 2:8-11 + Part 3 of the series “God So Loved The World"
Christmas is by far the most excessive holiday.
Joy is everyday. Great joy is epic. Joy is all over the Bible, appearing over 200 times, but I found only 9 reports of great joy.
The Lord will take delight in you. (Isaiah 62:4)
I delight greatly in the Lord, my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation. (Isaiah 61:10)
A spiritual feeling of delight in Jesus, produced by the Holy Spirit through my faith in God’s truth.
“I bring you good news that will cause great joy.” (Luke 2:10)
Cultivate great joy in Jesus. Celebrate great joy in Jesus.
SPIRITUAL NEXT STEPS
- Let’s look at all the episodes of “great joy” in the Bible. What makes each of them an above-average, extraordinary moment for super-charged joy? In your notes, write down a situation in your life right now that needs great joy. Here’s how to pray about it ...
- What are some biblical examples of redefining joy? What do they teach us about deceiving ourselves with the pursuit of happiness (Ecclesiastes 2:26)?
- Joy is “A spiritual feeling of delight in Jesus, produced by the Holy Spirit through my faith in God’s truth.” Think of a Christian you know who is full of “great joy.” Talk to them about it. Thank God for them. Ask them how they do it.
- Memorize Philippians 4:4-6. Who is a friend or family member who would appreciate you sharing this and inviting them to church?
- For families: ask your children to show you their message notes from today or CrossKidz material, and explain it more deeply. Rejoice in their faith and pray with them.